If you're a man seeking to enhance your health and well-being, you've undoubtedly encountered an array of potential solutions. One such option is cannabidiol (CBD), with CBD gummies emerging as a popular choice.
These bite-sized, often fruity treats pack the benefits of CBD in a form that is incredibly easy to consume and doesn't carry the stigma some potentially associate with other CBD intake methods. But like any wellness trend, it's natural to have questions. How do they work? What benefits can they offer? And are they safe? Fear not: this comprehensive guide has got you covered.
- CBD is a popular cannabinoid derived from the hemp plant or marijuana plant.
- CBD gummies may have a range of men’s health benefits, including improving sexual health and combatting hair loss.
- CBD gummies are a convenient method of using CBD for men’s health, with slower effects onset and longer-lasting benefits than other consumption methods.
What is CBD?
Full-spectrum cannabidiol (CBD), as the name suggests, incorporates the complete range of compounds that can be extracted from high-CBD cannabis or hemp plants, including trace amounts of THC. It’s important to note that full-spectrum CBD sourced from hemp plants is acceptable under federal law, whereas CBD derived from marijuana plants is only legal in certain regulated states.
CBD oil is sourced from hemp plants without additional refinement or processing to remove other cannabinoids or terpenes. This results in full-spectrum CBD having the most potential health benefits compared to CBD isolate or broad-spectrum CBD, which removes all delta-9 THC. This interaction of cannabinoids and chemicals within our endocannabinoid system is called the entourage effect and provides the most bang for one’s buck regarding health benefits.
The full-spectrum CBD must contain no more than 0.3% to meet federal legal limits. The extracted full-spectrum CBD oil is combined with a carrier, such as coconut or MCT oil, to let the body absorb it as a tincture within a capsule or mixed into edibles.
What are CBD Gummies?
The surge in CBD's fame has resulted in many cannabis companies venturing into the creation of products enriched with this cannabinoid. One such enticing product is CBD-infused gummies. These gummies contain either full-spectrum, broad-spectrum CBD — which includes additional elements like THC or terpenes — or they are made from CBD isolate, devoid of any other active cannabis components.
An effective way to determine the kind of CBD in your gummies is by reading the label, and checking out third-party lab results. Analyzing these certificates will not only reveal the CBD quantity in each gummy but also indicate if there are other cannabinoids included.
How CBD Gummies for Men Work
CBD gummies, specifically full-spectrum CBD, operate similarly to other cannabis-derived products. Its interactive relationship with the user's endocannabinoid system and other compounds in the product yields a host of potential benefits. These benefits vary based on the exact blend and proportion of the chemicals present.
Even though full-spectrum CBD is classified as psychoactive, meaning it affects brain activity, it doesn't generate the same high as THC. As per federal regulations, CBD gummies are only permitted to contain a maximum of 0.3% THC per dry weight, which is not sufficient to produce the euphoria typically associated with standard medical marijuana products.
According to a comprehensive meta-analysis of the latest research, CBD may help treat symptoms of various conditions, including, among others:
- Chronic pain
Potential Benefits of CBD Gummies for Men
According to a study conducted in 2021, it's been observed that men dealing with anxiety disorders tend to have a higher likelihood of experiencing erectile dysfunction (ED).
CBD, which has been explored for its potential mental health benefits, was found in a separate study to hold promising antidepressant, antipsychotic, and antiepileptic properties. What appeals the most is the potential benefit that could come to men who suffer from anxiety-induced ED.
Beyond anxiety, other factors are believed to influence ED. According to some experts, persistent stress, various personality disorders, and troubles in romantic relationships can potentially lead to ED. A 2019 study suggests that oral intake of CBD may help to decrease the severity of symptoms in patients with PTSD, though combining it with psychiatric therapy sessions could yield even more substantial benefits.
In the realm of natural haircare, CBD oil has emerged as a promising solution. It's been indicated that CBD oil, a derivative of the cannabis plant, might play a role in preventing certain types of hair loss in men, according to various studies.
Due to its anti-inflammatory properties and ability to improve blood circulation, CBD oil could contribute to healthy hair growth. Moreover, CBD products can even soothe an itchy scalp associated with conditions like psoriasis.
One study demonstrated that topical application of CBD-rich hemp extract for six months could lead to successful hair regrowth. It is hypothesized that CBD, acting as a negative allosteric modulator of CB1 receptors, may stimulate accelerated hair growth by desensitizing these receptors.
There's more to hemp and cannabis oil's magic than CBD, as well. They are packed with omega 3 and omega 6; vital for promoting hair growth. Additionally, these oils carry minerals like calcium, phosphorus, magnesium, potassium, vitamin E, linoleic, and gamma-linolenic acid (GLA) - all fundamental ingredients for robust hair growth.
Another study conducted on hemp seed oil echoed similarly encouraging results. While the power of CBD to combat hair loss requires further investigation, its other potential benefits for hair health are worth exploring. Men could experiment with CBD-infused and hemp-based shampoos and conditioners to combat dry or thinning hair.
Energy and focus
CBD operates by blocking receptors in your endocannabinoid system (ECS), allowing natural endocannabinoids to stay in your system longer. The ECS manages several aspects of homeostasis, such as mood control, cognition, and metabolism.
When CBD gummies are used for improved concentration and focus, its primary targets are CB1 and CB2 receptors. These receptors are pivotal in managing neurotransmitter functions, alleviating anxiety, and fostering tranquility. By symbiotically interacting with these receptors and inducing certain changes, CBD may enhance men’s ability to focus and offer improved mental sharpness.
Potential Risks and Drawbacks
Generally, potential side effects linked to CBD products are mild. If you're using CBD products specifically for ED, hair loss, or other men’s health purposes, here are some side effects you might encounter:
- Skin irritation (which is more often connected to other product ingredients than to CBD itself)
- Dry mouth
- Tiredness or fatigue
- Diarrhea or constipation
The probability of encountering these side effects is low. Still, if you observe any adverse reactions after using a CBD oil or another product, it's highly recommended that you consult your doctor.
How to Use CBD Gummies
Patience is key when it comes to consuming CBD gummies, as the benefits don’t immediately appear. Typically, it can take anywhere between 30-120 minutes for you to start noticing the effects. This delay is due to the time required for your digestive system to begin breaking down and metabolizing the CBD.
If you plan on taking these supplements for a specific goal, like an intimate moment or an important task, consume the gummy for at least an hour to ensure optimal effects.
One cannot overdose on CBD, so if you don't feel any effects about 90 minutes after consuming your first, you can take higher doses as needed.
The Bottom Line: Should Men Use CBD?
CBD gummies are delicious, discreet, and a convenient way to use CBD to improve sexual health, counter hair loss, and sharpen focus and concentration. It’s essential to start with low doses and gradually increase your intake as needed.
Frequently Asked Questions
What does CBD do to men?
Besides its effects that apply to everyone, such as stress relief and anti-inflammatory properties, some studies suggest that CBD may indirectly boost sexual performance by alleviating anxiety and managing high blood pressure levels - all critical factors in maintaining optimal sexual function in men.
How long does it take for CBD to work on men?
CBD gummies usually take 45 minutes to two hours for effects to kick in, while tinctures or smoking/vaping CBD produce much more immediate results.
How long will CBD stay in your system?
CBD's presence in an individual's body can vary considerably, lasting anywhere from a few hours to up to a month. The exact duration hinges on factors such as the quantity consumed and the method of consumption. CBD's half-life in your body can fluctuate between one hour and five days.
Disclaimer: None of what is published on evn-cbd.com is intended to be professional medical advice. Consult your health practitioner regarding any medical treatment or diagnosis.
- Corroon J, Phillips JA. A Cross-Sectional Study of Cannabidiol Users. Cannabis Cannabinoid Res. 2018 Jul 1;3(1):152-161. doi: 10.1089/can.2018.0006. PMID: 30014038; PMCID: PMC6043845.
- García-Gutiérrez, María S., Francisco Navarrete, Ani Gasparyan, Amaya Austrich-Olivares, Francisco Sala, and Jorge Manzanares. 2020. "Cannabidiol: A Potential New Alternative for the Treatment of Anxiety, Depression, and Psychotic Disorders" Biomolecules 10, no. 11: 1575. https://doi.org/10.3390/biom10111575
- Dadomo, H., Ponzi, D., Nicolini, Y., Volpi, R., Palanza, P., Pelosi, A., Bartolomucci, A., & Parmigiani, S. (2020). Loss of Socio-Economic Condition and Psychogenic Erectile Dysfunction: the Role of Temperament and Depression. Adaptive Human Behavior and Physiology, 6(1), 57–74. https://doi.org/10.1007/s40750-019-00125-0
- Elms, L., Shannon, S., Hughes, S., & Lewis, N. (2019). Cannabidiol in the Treatment of Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder: A case series. Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine, 25(4), 392–397. https://doi.org/10.1089/acm.2018.0437
- Elms L, Shannon S, Hughes S, Lewis N. Cannabidiol in the Treatment of Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder: A Case Series. J Altern Complement Med. 2019 Apr;25(4):392-397. doi: 10.1089/acm.2018.0437. Epub 2018 Dec 13. PMID: 30543451; PMCID: PMC6482919.
- Katikaneni, R., Seymour, A., Gulati, R., Ponnapakkam, T., & Gensure, R. C. (2015). Therapy for Alopecia Areata in Mice by Stimulating the Hair Cycle with Parathyroid Hormone Agonists Linked to a Collagen-Binding Domain. Journal of Investigative Dermatology Symposium Proceedings, 17(2), 13–15. https://doi.org/10.1038/jidsymp.2015.32
- View of Hair Regrowth with Cannabidiol (CBD)-rich Hemp Extract. (n.d.). https://publications.sciences.ucf.edu/cannabis/index.php/Cannabis/article/view/78/47
- Pavlovic R, Nenna G, Calvi L, Panseri S, Borgonovo G, Giupponi L, Cannazza G, Giorgi A. Quality Traits of "Cannabidiol Oils": Cannabinoids Content, Terpene Fingerprint and Oxidation Stability of European Commercially Available Preparations. Molecules. 2018 May 20;23(5):1230. doi: 10.3390/molecules23051230. PMID: 29783790; PMCID: PMC6100014.