Many cannabis smokers have been there: You have flower in hand, ready to smoke, but you don’t have a grinder. What’s one to do?
While a grinder surely makes the process simpler, there are a number of ways to grind weed without a grinder. If you’re looking to add some new skills to your cannabis arsenal, stick with us as we explore all the ways to hand grind weed.
- Grinders are ideal for cannabis users, since they are discreet, convenient, easy to take on the go, and safer than other methods. However, you don’t need one in order to smoke weed.
- You can grind weed with your fingers, though it’s also possible to use a number of other household items to ease the process.
Do You Need a Weed Grinder?
Grinders are generally the most convenient and quickest option to grind and smoke cannabis. They also tend to be safer than using other tools, more discreet and portable, and help to minimize mess and potential cannabis loss.
Many grinders include a kief catcher, which collects and saves the trichomes that fall from buds in the process, and kief can be collected and used for later to enhance bowls and joints or make edibles!
However, they are not required.
How to Hand Grind Weed
- With clean hands and a flat surface, begin picking apart the nug, separating stems and seeds with both hands.
- Place your non-dominant hand above the surface in a cupped shape, and begin rubbing your thumb, index, and middle fingers with bud.
- Collect the broken-down bud in your hand, and gently rub your palms together to further grind up the flower directly over your flat surface.
- Once your cannabis is fully broken down, wash and dry your hands before packing your flower into your joint or bowl. That’s it!
Other Ways to Grind Weed Without a Grinder
How to Grind Weed with a Coffee Grinder
Using a clean coffee grinder, pack nugs in loosely without overstuffing the machine. Grind lightly until your flower takes on a light, fluffy consistency, and be sure not to overgrind/avoid a dusty consistency.
How to Grind Weed with a Cheese Grater
Break down your buds into smaller pieces with your fingers, and use your dominant hand to gently rub your nugs back and forth against the surface of the grater, holding it in place with your other hand. Use extra caution to avoid the sharp edges. Continue until you reach the desired consistency.
How to Grind Weed with a Mortar and Pestle
Break your buds into smaller pieces with your fingers, and place them into the mortar (a small bowl). Using the mortar (a small, club-shaped blunt object), grind the cannabis against the sides and bottom of the mortar until it is the ideal consistency.
How to Grind Weed with a Coin and Pill Bottle
Break up your buds and place them into a pill bottle (make sure not to overstuff) along with a coin. Close the bottle, shake it forcefully for two to three minutes, then remove the ground up cannabis.
The cannabis world is one of innovation, and while grinders do generally make the process easier, you don’t necessarily need one to pack a quality bowl or roll a solid joint. It can take a little practice, but knowing how to grind weed without a grinder can be a huge skill in a pinch!