THC edibles like brownies, candies, mints, beverages, and gummies are becoming an increasingly popular way of consuming cannabis. Users can enjoy all of the therapeutic benefits of THC without the potentially harmful effects of smoking or vaping.
It’s become easier than ever to purchase THC gummies and edibles now that more states have legalized medical and recreational cannabis. But did you know that you could make THC gummies at home with just a few simple ingredients?
Making your own THC gummies is a fun way to get creative in the kitchen and experiment with new and exciting flavors and shapes. Plus, you can use your favorite strains of cannabis and dose your edibles exactly to your preference.
But before we go into some popular THC gummy recipes, check out our Q&A where we answer some of the most common questions about THC gummies and edibles:
What Are Cannabis Gummies Infused With?
It depends on the type of gummy. Some cannabis gummies are infused with cannabidiol (CBD), a non-intoxicating compound that is derived from hemp cannabis that has numerous therapeutic benefits. Other cannabis gummies are infused with tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), which is the psychoactive component in cannabis that makes you feel high and intoxicated.
What Oil Is Best for THC in Gummies?
Cannabis is lipid soluble, which means it readily binds to fats like butter and oils–ingredients that help to make baked goods (and edibles) so delicious! When making gummies, most cooks opt to use infused butter (allso known as cannabutter) or infused oils like coconut oil, avocado oil, or MCT oil, which is a type of distilled oil derived from coconut oil.
How Strong is a Typical THC Gummy?
THC gummies and edibles can range drastically in dosage, with as big of a range as 1 MG to 500 MG of THC. The typical dose for a single THC gummy is generally between 5 and 10 MG. But it’s important to consider that THC impacts everyone differently and that tolerance level, body weight, metabolism, and other factors can determine how strong of a high you will feel from a given dose of THC gummies.
What Are the Best Edibles for Beginners?
Edibles that are individually packaged, clearly labeled by dosage, and can be cut up into smaller pieces for more precise dosing are considered the best edibles for beginners. Remember to take start low and take it slow if you are a beginner. You may want to start with a 2.5 MG dosage of an edible first and wait at least an hour to see how you feel before taking more. Edibles can take a while to kick in, so avoid the mistake of ingesting too much at once because you think it’s “not working.”
Is it Legal For Me to Make THC Gummies?
Before making your THC gummies or edibles, be sure to check what the laws are surrounding cannabis use and possession in your state and locality. Cannabis advocacy group NORML has an up-to-date guide to cannabis laws in each state.
Easy THC Gummy Recipe
One of the fastest ways to make THC gummies is to simply infuse storebought gummy candies, like gummy bears, with drops of cannabis tincture – a liquid or oil that has been infused with cannabis.
All you need to do to infuse your gummies is add your cannabis tincture drop by drop onto the candy until you’ve reached your preferred dosage. Then, just let it sit for an hour to dry.
Cannabis tincture can be purchased at dispensaries or it can be easily made at home. All you need is your preferred dose of your favorite cannabis flower and a high-proof alcohol like Everclear. To make cannabis tincture, simply:
- Ground your cannabis flower.
- Set your oven to 240°F. Place your ground cannabis flower in an oven-safe baking dish or tray and let it bake low and slow for about 40 minutes. This process is called “decarbing” and it helps to activate the psychoactive compounds in cannabis.
- Remove from oven and let the decarbed flower cool.
- Place the decarbed flower in a glass jar, like a mason jar, and pour the high-proof alcohol over it until the flower is covered.
- Place the jar in a cool, dark location like a kitchen cabinet and let it sit for a few days or weeks to allow the flower to fully infuse the alcohol.
- Enjoy your tincture!
However, if you want to have more control over the flavor and ingredients in your THC gummies, it’s easy to make your own. There are dozens of recipes online that give you the flexibility to customize your THC gummies with your favorite colors and flavors.
Here is a simple template to follow when making your own THC gummies. You will need cannabis tincture, flavored Jello packets, unflavored gelatin, water, and a mold to shape your gummies. With these ingredients, you will:
- Spray or oil your molds. Use a paper towel to mop up any excess to ensure the molds are lightly oiled but are not saturated in oil.
- Heat water in a saucepan over low heat. If you are using one 3 oz package of Jello, you will want to heat up about 1/2 cup of water.
- Add the flavored Jello package and an additional 1 tbsp of unflavored gelatin to the hot water. Mix until fully incorporated.
- Turn the stove off. Take the saucepan off the heat and away from the stove before proceeding with the next step.
- Add your preferred dosage of cannabis tincture to the saucepan mixture. Mix well to fully incorporate to ensure even dosing.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared gummy molds. Droppers can help to make this process quicker and less messy.
- Refrigerate until firm. This will take about 30 minutes to an hour.
- Remove gummies from the mold and enjoy! Be sure to store any extra gummies in an airtight container in the freezer or fridge for maximum freshness.
Where to Buy THC Gummies Online
If you prefer to leave the cooking to the professionals – or if you need your THC gummies in a hurry – we have you covered. Soon, our EVN store will be stocking premium-quality, hemp-derived Delta-9 THC gummies in an assortment of flavors. Until then, check out our selection of high-performance CBD gummies in original and sour gummy flavors.